Monday, June 1, 2009

A Climber's Paradise

I will apoligize in advance for any grammatically errors or misspellings. My computer screen sits inches away from a bay window that looks out over a pristine beach and perfect floating spires of climbing delight. After only 14 hours of transit bus purgatory, heaven on earth has been reached.


The path to Railay rightousness began almost 20 hours ago. Khao San Road provided ample people watching to rest from the marathon of walking I had done in the last couple days. Trying to emulate the extremely obivious standout toursit mode that only my dad can do, I had my sunburned nose buried deep into an animated map of Bangkok. My shoes contained less then 100 steps before wearing through. I took this as a sign to enjoy a day of relaxation. Only moments later the friendly, chipper, stuffed-up voice of an american accent was heard only a table away. After postive responce from a comment about the acceptability of being american tourists now becuase of our new president, I new I was in for a good company with Nicky and her boyfriend...i'll call him Pieces. After a day of little move movement, lots of politcs, delicous falafal and good conversation, I felt furfilled and confident that I have seen the best of Bangkok.


The maze of public trasportation included next to no english with three bus tranfers. A extreme sports junkie was my seatmate on the bus and we swapped injury horror stories as we counted the hours away. I bootlegged version of the new Wolvereen movie play away at the front of the bus. The movie was so bootleged that all the CGI were in bit data form. It movie encourged imagination. Finally arriving in Krabi provices encouraged us to hurry from excitment to the the inevitable waiting. After buying a boat ticket for a ferry to Tonsai. I lauched into a conversation with a Spinish Haliburton worker as we waited the three hours for required 8 people needed to fill the boat. The ferry ended up being only a 10 minute ride around cliff scattered pennicials and spire arrets islands. Arriving at a beach only a ten minute walk from the beach I desired, I began walking next to a French climber that introduced me to every climber we passed. Turning off the beach into a jungle path brought us to a path that ran parrell to the must perfect climbing I have ever laid eyes on. Unable to contain myslef I pulled out my gear and began hauling up a perfect climb of smooth perfected rock. More to come; the crag is calling.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so fucking epic...can't wait to see what your thoughts are once so climbing goes down. I'm in NH now...getting my ass wooped on big overhanging cliffs hidden on the me/nh border...soooo stoked. Keep me posted...and climb wicked hard. peace.

    ReplyDelete