Thursday, June 11, 2009

Climbing "Partners"?

Benga, Benga! I yelled encouragingly to the shirtless Spanish guy I was belaying. I stood on the beach near the connector path between Tonsai and Railay West. The ocean splashed up behind me only 10 feet away. Walking down the beach walked two girls with matching Oakley Sunglasses, carrying roller bags...on the beach. I flashed them a smile and turned to chat with what were two, unmistakably, American girls. (Yes, it really is that obvious) After a few minutes of the typical banter, where they were from and how long they were traveling. One of the Floridians asked if we there were many beaches like this. Thinking that she was talking about beaches with climbing, I excitedly told her that two of the beaches on the peninsula were the same as this beach. She was very surprised. She had not read anything about these beaches in her guide book. She went on to say that she didn’t want to stereotype but it was noticeable how fit everyone was. I casually responded that it sort of comes with the lifestyle. The other American girl smiles and says that she is glad that Thailand is progressive and doesn’t have the same negative social opinions as the US. As I pause to figure out what the hell this American girl is talking about, her friend say comment in response " Yeah...back in Florida, there are next to no gay beaches."

Clearly, take a beach, mix in a severe majority of very fit shirtless male climbers walking around in groups and add European banana hammocks...the outcome can be slightly misconstrued.

No comments:

Post a Comment