Friday, May 29, 2009

Let the Games Begin

Note to Readers: Everything that will be written in this blog will be some facsimile of the truth. Extravagant embellishment should not just be tollerated, they should be expected. It is the only requirement of Vagabond Thailand posts. Please leave comments and check back regularly

After 25 hours of travel, I made it to Bangkok. Torrential downpours and a techno worthy lighting were the prominent reasons for the four-foot-beyond-the-car visibility. Somehow, I was able to trick the cute American girl sitting next to me on the Tokyo-Bangkok flight that I was worth her while. The young Cape-Codian twirled her hair and told me how she made her way to the fortunate position as my seat-side companion. She was on her way to meet her sister, a US Embassy worker. I could already see myself being appointed ambassador to Thailand if I played my cards right. I had no time to lose. I told the Captain to step to it and get the plane in Bangkok, PRONTO! Touching down a half-an-hour I flipped the Captain a wink and a nod and wander my way into the Land of the Thai. Stepping through immigration, I greeted the sister and round two of Miramant charm began. After a 20 minute car ride into the Bangkok center, she was offering me information, a place to stay and her new born baby. I took the information with a smile and decided to take to the streets. She offered far to much structure to entice this soloist on a his walkabout.

I stepped out of the hidden, posh apartment complex into the whorl wind of Bangkok. I was famished. It was mid-night but I minimal reference of time and even smaller intention to sleep any time soon. So I did what any thorough breed AHH-MER-IT-CAN should do; I found a McDonald's. Okay, this was sadly the first Thai establishment I visited but anyone searching for a clean bathroom in a third world country relies on Micky D's.

After one meal, I was re-educated in the meaning of Thai Food. The al-dente noodles exploded with flavor as I tasted the delicate balance of prawns, pork and eggs. Flavors where hidden deep within each bite. These were hard to pinpoint as they were masked by a completely virgin olfactory sensation. In most environments, this phenomenal dish would standout against almost all distractions. But Bangkok, of course, is not just any environment. My surprisingly comfortable chair tucked comfortably under the glass table. The glass table leaned unsteadily against the raised patio railing. The simple bronze railing was lucky. It was important. It was valued. This one inch railing established a boundary. On one side I sat, sipping a Bizza Coconut Soda and slurping tender noodles; on the other was Bangkok's second largest Red-Light-District at 1 am on a Friday night.

Bangkok is about to rise from unrest. 5 am is rolling around after my first sleepless night in Thailand. I feel obligated to support the local Economy and invest in some cheap suits and stolen cameras. I am off to track down coffee, pastries and the adventure of the day to come.

1 comment:

  1. Today I had a lychee and rice starch slop...Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete